Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Brooch of Adaean

Those who know me lately are aware (and possibly slightly annoyed) that for the last month or so I've spent a lot of time thinking of the fantasy end of the speculative fiction genre (which is actually two genres, or three if you separate horror out from science fiction and fantasy), at least since the election meant I wasn't on edge for weeks thinking about politics. Anyway:


The Brooch of Adaean, a magic talisman from Alexander's 'The Black Cauldron,' that
(Spoilers!)
grants its wearer some sort of increased insight into the universe around one, has always resonated strangely with me, and I find its use (and ultimate quasi-denouncement by Taran {after he's had to sacrifice it} ) to be a bit strange and even sad. Anyone who remembers that book care to comment? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment